According to authorities, Davenport was killed when his Xbox One malfunctioned, causing the system to eject a disc at a high rate of speed, striking the teen in the throat. His mother had discovered his body around 3 a.m. when she went to check on him.
“My son loved playing his Xbox One. He was a good student in school so I had no problems with him playing the game as much as he wanted. He also has a Youtube channel dedicated to games. He made a decent amount of money from making videos so I thought he was being very productive. I never thought that his game would kill him,” said Ms. Davenport.
The police and paramedics arrived at the Davenport residence at approximately 3:36 a.m. When emergency units arrived, they confirmed that Marcus Davenport was dead. Authorities had discovered the Call of Duty disc lodged into Davenport’s throat. Davenport had bled out but appeared to have died from asphyxiation according to the paramedics.
Police found a video that Davenport was recording for Youtube right before his death which confirmed the disc had ejected from the Xbox One with enough force to slice Davenport’s throat.